Just got Cannon LiDE 110 (Canon CanoScan LiDE110 2400 x 4800dpi 48bit USB Interface Flatbed Scanner). I am running Mac OS X 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard) on my 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro. Here is my running random memo:
- A link on scanner from Apple discussion thread.
Scanner drivers from Apple for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard , and from Silverfast, Vuescan, and Apple Guide’s Imaging product search page, and Macdevcenter.com’s coverage of Mac OS X native scanners.
Also now Slashdot has revealed that some open source developers have made these scanners available to the Mac.
There are also several drivers from PhaseOne made for the Mac. Avison scanner drivers are now available.
And now one for a Fujitsu Scanner, with Intel Mac instructions, there’s Apple’s instructions for using Image Capture on TWAIN compatible scanners.
Where to start?
- Here is list of Cannon Drivers available for Snow Leopard. Ok, I see “Canon CanoScan LiDE 110 +” Good sign, but now what?
- Canon’s company product page. Clicking on Drivers and Software link, I found ICA Driver Ver.1.5.0s (Mac OS X 10.6) and downloaded and installed IJScanner 2. Now I see a “CanoScan LiDE 110″ choice in System Preference -> Print & Fax. I was able to scan, but can I use Photoshop’s File -> Import menu item to scan like I did before?
- Apparently, SANE Project could be my solution. TWAIN SANE Interface for MacOS X kinda rings a bell. OK, and there is a Photoshop CS5 plug-in. My Mac is 64-bit system/processor (This link help me confirm what I thought). But which one do I have to install?? All of them?
- EPSON UK website has a nice support page
- Quit Photoshop CS5.
- Download the optional Mac OS TWAIN plug-in from Adobe and read the accompanying support information. Adobe has made it available via the following TechNote article on the official Adobe website.
- “Using TWAIN in Photoshop CS5 and CS4″: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405072.html
- Copy the TWAIN plug-in file to the Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\Import-Export folder on your Mac OS X hard disk.
- Restart Photoshop to enable the plug-in.
- I decided tio download and install PhotoShop plugins and see what happens. I did TWAIN plugin for Photoshop CS5 12.0/12.0.1 Mac OS and Photoshop CS5 12.0.2 Mac OS only and tested, but nothing. is it the 64-bit/32-bit problem? Or missing some other things?
- That’s All the time I can spend on this right now… Maybe do some research later. At least I can scan things into the system now.
- This thread on MacRumores was most helpful. Twain SANE plug in will only show up when you run Photoshop CS5 in 32 mode. To do so, Close Photoshop, go to application and do Command-i to open the info box, then click on Open in 32-bit mode check box (right above “Locked” check box). When I do that and run the Photoshop, and go File -> Import I see, ta-da, SANE… choice. However, when I choose it, I am greeted with this error message.
Boy, this is harder than I thought. I may give up but maybe I’ll spend more time. I also need to research the difference between 64-bit vs 32-bit… not that I am going to be doing heavy duty photoshop work but…